This yoga workout for abs in this guide can help tighten the muscles in your core; this yoga workout for abs flat tummy is designed to last for only 10 minutes.
When you are through, you will feel the tightening impact in your tummy.
The six yoga workouts for abs in this article will engage your core; you can do them if you don’t have any experience practicing yoga.
Make sure you hold each pose for 30 seconds to obtain a flatter and tighter tummy within a short period of practicing.
If you want a flat tummy, then practice the poses below.
YOGA Workout for ABS Flat Tummy
1. Cat Cow Pose
This warm-up pose is useful when you want to start your workout; it is very effective in stretching your core. Follow the steps below to do the cat-cow stretch:
- You start in a table-position with your arms and knees on the floor. Make sure your hands are shoulder –width away from each other, and your knees are under your hips.
- Bend your back, make sure it is curved upwards to the ceiling.
- As you hold this pose, your tummy will hug up towards your spine.
- The next time you breathe out, push your back downwards to the ground, then lift your head up and gaze forward.
Hold this position until you breathe in, then keep your back bent.
2. Bird Dog Pose
This pose focuses on the muscles in your core and shoulder. To begin:
- You start in a table-position with your arms and knees on the ground. Your hands should be placed under your shoulders, make sure your knees are placed a little narrower under your hips.
- Your belly and the ground should be parallel to each other
- Raise your left leg straight backwards, then stretch your right arm ahead of you.
- Push your ribcage away from the ground by pressing down on your left hand to support your raised hand.
- Return your hand and leg to start position then repeat on your other side.As you perform this pose, make sure you engage it flows as you engage and keep your core stable in the process.
If you find it difficult to maintain balance in this pose, raise your legs and try including your arm movement.
3. Plank Pose
The plank pose can be challenging, but it is one of the best yoga workouts for abs. At first, holding this pose for a short while might be difficult, but with practice, you become stronger, and you will be able to do this pose at ease. To begin:
- You begin in the downward dog pose; with your hands and legs firm on the floor, and your butt up in the air. Your body will take the shape of an inverted V., Or you start lying on your stomach.
- While in this position – downward dog pose– lower your hand towards the ground and relax on your elbows. Move your back down, so it forms a straight line with your toes and elbows on the floor.
- If you start lying on your stomach, use your palms to push up on your elbows ahead of you and raise your body on your toes.
Keep your neck and spine in a straight line with your stomach, make sure your tummy is only a few inches away from the ground.
4. Bridge Pose
This pose is effective in strengthening the back. You can also engage your core muscles and make your tummy tight if you do the bridge pose correctly.
The key is to engage the waist muscles to keep your hips stable. To do this pose:
- Lie on your back with your hands at each side and your palms facing up.
- Bend your knees, and ensure your legs are hip-width away from each other.
- Make sure your arms and feet are pressed to the floor, then push your tummy and hips upwards to the ceiling until your knees and shoulders form a straight line.
- Do not clench your butt; you will be tempted to do so. Instead, try straightening your sit bones – bones of your pelvic girdle – towards your knees.
You can maintain balance and keep your body stable by clasping your hands beneath your back off the floor while in this position.
To make this routine more challenging, you can switch to the walking bridge pose. To do this, raise one of your foot from the ground slowly, then return it before you raise the other one; you do this like you were walking.
Initially, you may find it difficult to lift your body. So, ensure you push your toes towards the ceiling until you develop your core strength.
5. Side Plank Pose
This pose is as challenging as the regular plank pose; it is a good yoga workout for abs flat tummy. It becomes easy over time the more you practice.
Do not be discouraged, the more challenging these yoga poses are, the faster the results. Follow the steps below to do the side plank:
- To begin, lie on the ground on one side –right or left side.
- Raise your body so that your elbow is on the floor below your shoulder and your hand firms on the floor ahead of your body.
- Then, use your top leg to push up and leave the bottom leg with your knee firmly on the ground. Make sure the side of your body facing up forms a straight line with your shoulder and ankle.
- Lift your free hand towards the ceiling.
This side plank pose is the modified version.
If you have the strength, you can try the complete move with your two legs off the ground, so your body weight is just on your elbow or hand and the other side of your leg.
Make sure the side of your body facing the ground forms a straight line with your armpit and ankle. With practice, you become stronger and lifting your top leg towards up as you lift your arm will be less difficult.
6. Boat Pose
We will round up this guide on yoga poses for abs with the boat pose, it is a typical yoga workout for abs flat tummy.
This pose can help flatten your tummy and build strength in your hip flexors and spine. Another thing is that this common yoga pose for beginners will nourish and energize your internal organs such as your thyroid gland, intestines and kidneys. To do the boat pose, follow the steps below.
- To begin, sit on the floor with both legs stretched out.
- Keep both hands behind the hips, lean back as you curve your chest high. Make sure you keep your spine straight.
- Make sure you are sitting over your tailbone and sitting bones, then breathe out and bend your knees. Make sure your feet are on the floor at first.
- Continue leaning back and move your feet towards your hips on tip-toes.
- While forming a v shape with your body and you feel you are stable or balanced, bring both arms around and hold the back of your knees, then lift your feet away from the floor.
The main aim of the boat pose is to straighten both legs and keep your arms beside your knees.
However, this pose may be too difficult for some beginners, that’s why I have selected this particular YouTube video.
You can make this pose much easier by bending your knees a little and holding the back of your knees with your hands.
The more you practice, the more your confidence grows, and your abs become stronger; then you can make the task more challenging by letting go of your grip and keeping your knees straight.
You can improve your body strength with yoga, but you can tighten your belly as well as your abs when you use your core strength in doing the poses. Besides strengthening your body, yoga workouts can help you improve your stability, balance and flexibility.
This yoga poses for abs are very effective, you should try them. You will feel the impact instantly after trying a session. Nevertheless, you have to be dedicated to achieving results.
Have in mind that this Yoga workout for ABS Flat Tummy requires you to maintain each position for thirty seconds before progressing to the next yoga pose.
Ensure you rest for a minute after completing all six poses.
Repeat the yoga workout for the second time, ensure you change sides on positions that target each side of your body. Take a break for one minute, and round up the yoga poses again for the last round.
You are free to perform any or all of the routines for more than thirty seconds as long as you are comfortable with it.
Do not forget that getting yourself on the mat is the most challenging part of practicing yoga.
If you find this article interesting or you have questions, please leave a comment below.